RPG Other Games Calendar Main Journal
Each player starts with a domain they are responsible for, they may have someone else run the day to day operations while they go off to met with other local leaders and deal with ongoing threats.
They get a fortified keep, manor, monastery, school or something similar, then name it.
Pick some heraldry while your at it.
Roll 3d6 7 times, put lowest score in Malice. Or assign 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
at 10 gains a boon plus one more at 12, 14, 16, and 18
at 8 gain a bane plus one more at 6, and 4.
Players are not limited to listed boons and banes, those are just examples.
- Troops Might x 10 soldiers with leather armor, spear, light shield and short sword, or similar
- Costs = might x 10 in gold for monthly pay for soldiers
- Elite Troops: Archers - 10 soldiers become archers with studded leather, long bows, daggers
- Elite Troops: Heavy Garrison - 10 soldiers become heavy garrison with chain mail, crossbow, halber
- Elite Troops: Heavy Infantry - 10 soldiers become heavy infantry with splint mail, spear, short sword, large shield
- Elite Troops: Light Cavalry - 10 soldiers become light cavalry with warhorse, spear, chain shirt, light shield, long sword
- Militia - Might x Population in commoners in soldier equipment.
- Pallisade - Fortify a village, town or city
- Sergeant - A third level warrior to leave in charge
- Squire - A first level warrior to watch your backv
- Ill equipped - Soldiers have padded armor, spears and daggers
- Out of shape - You soldiers have gotten out of training and out of shape -2 to their rolls
- Overgrown - The trees have been allowed to grow up on your stronghold and the roads
- This old keep - Your stronghold requires Might x 100 gold in repairs
- Turncoat - One of your soldiers has been turned to the service of another
- Trade = number of villages with businesses, markets, and skilled craftsmen.
- Profit = Trade x 10 for monthly gain in gold by taxes
- Artisans - The region is home to a group of artisans with a particular trade. Add 1 to population for determining taxes.
- City - Upgrade town +1 to trade for figuring to taxes
- Cutting Edge - There are citizens who are in the forefront of their trade. Add 1 to population for determining taxes.
- Delicacy - The region has a food or beverage product which is in demand. Add 1 to population for determining taxes.
- Master of Craft - add 1 to trade for figuring taxes, can make Masterwork gear of that type
- Town - Upgrade village +1 to trade for figuring to taxes
- Unique Pet - The region has a species which is in demand as a pet. Add 1 to population for determining taxes.
- Bad roads - Roads are hard to travel on, -1 to trade for figuring taxes
- Bad Weather - The area has notoriously bad weather and so people don't visit much. Roads may be impassable sometimes.
- Isolated - It's difficult to get to the domain. -1 to population for determining taxes.
- Substandard - One of your craftsmen is incompetent but also the only one of their type.
- Weird Taste - Food grown in the area tastes different and most outsiders don't appreciate the change in flavor.
- Commoners = Population x 100 commoners
- Taxes = Population x 100 in gold or food equal to gold once per year
- Attractive - Residents are more charismatic than most. Add 1 to charisma for skills (like a trait)
- Bilingual - Residents typically speak a second language. It can be one from the list or a regional dialect.
- Educated - The residents are better educated than in most kingdoms. One knowledge becomes a class skill and they gain +1 with that skill.
- Resource - Add 1 to effective population for taxes (vineyards, mines, lumber camp, sea port, etc)
- Self-sufficient - Residents typically own at least one martial weapon and leather armor.
- Wealthy - The residents of the kingdom have more spare cash than most; maybe they trade better or they're able to live more off the land. +1 Population for taxes.
- Well-led - Add 1 to effective population for taxes. Makes good decisions
- Back water - A den of scum and stupidity. -1 effective to population for taxes. Causes trouble
- High Birth Rate - Population is growing by 1 every 5-10 years as people have lots of sex. Population goes up by 1 and Trade goes down by 1 every 5-10 years.
- Low Birth Rate - Population is dwindling by 1 every 5-10 years as people just don't procreate much.
- Poor Crops - The crop grows well enough but no one really likes it that much. -1 to trade for figuring taxes.
- Poor soil - -1 effective to population for taxes. Famines
- Uneducated - People aren't smart and so don't make much money. -1 to trade for figuring taxes.
- Xenophobes - People don't like outsiders which reduces income from wonders by -1 for income purposes.
A rough measure of the magical nature of your Domain
- Arcane Library - The estate include a large library; the player can learn any 1st - 3rd level spell from the Player's Handbook. Taking this again adds 3 more levels of spells.
- Benevolence - Friendly Magical creature ( Nymph, treant, naiad, dragon )
- Blessed - Guardian spirit
- Clan Wayfarer - Alliance with clan of dwarf miners who originated in these lands
- Emporium - Gnome trading house outlet. Can obtain just about anything
- Fey touched - Helpful faeries
- Forest folk - Alliance with wood elves who have always been here
- Heraldic beasts - Gain an animal companion ( Celestial mount, Fey hound, Dire raven, etc )
- Hillshire - Alliance with halfling who established a new homeland here
- House Tiranal - Alliance with light elves whose maintain their ancestral lands
- Old faith - Good relationship with druids
- Cursed - hostile spirit
- Elf shot - Problematic faeries
- Family curse - Varies
- Haunted - harrowed from the grave and pretty pissy about it
- House Nocturi - Svart elf active in your domain
- Malevolence - Hostile Magical creature tied to your land
- Vile Heathens - Bad relations with druids
- Wicked witch - Allied to fiends
- Faith = Number of Temples
- Clerical staff - A temple has a true cleric
- Holy Grove - forest whose trees when harvested do extra damage to creatures of the darkness
- Holy relic - Plus 1 to wonder for income plus magical effect
- Pilgrimage - Temple built on holy spot, adds 1 to wonders for income
- Sacred Beast - a race of tougher and smarter then normal animals that serve as guardians of the land ( grants access to unique creatures for animal companions, hawk hound, ghost stag, shade cat )
- Sacred Ground - strong hold is on holy ground
- Spirit Guardian - a semi divine spirit that advises and sometimes manifests ( the green man, the white stag, cold one )
- Accursed - the land was cursed by a god long ago and everything is harder than it should be. -1 to Population for determining taxes.
- Cult - Evil cult active in your domain
- Fanatic - Hates magic, or non humans, or see witches everywhere.
- Forgotten God - Many people worship a god forgotten in most other regions. -1 to Trade due to his unusual teachings.
- Heretic - There is a temple to an established god which follows him but doesn't use his conventional beliefs or practices.
- Irreligious - A larger than normal number of people do not believe in any god.
- Monotheist - Most people in the region follow the same god and tithe to the god's church. -1 to population for determining taxes.
- Wonders = General measure of how much your domain attracts visitors
- Income = Wonders x 10 gold income each month
- Annual Festival - Wonder x trade in gold once per years
- Battlefield - The region is the site of an historic battlefield. Add 1 to wonders for determining income.
- Burial Site - The region is home to the grave of a famous hero or maybe even a god/demi-god. Add 1 to wonders for determining income.
- Magical Spring - Add 1 to wonder for income plus magical effect
- Natural Site - The region is the site of an unusual natural site (like a mountain, river, or glade). Add 1 to wonders for determining income.
- Sage - Add 1 to wonder for income
- Sporting Grounds - Tilting grounds, race track. +1 to wonder for income
- Cursed Swamp - -1 to wonders for income, plus all the monsters
- Haunted Ruins - -1 to wonders for income, plus all the undead
- Haunted Stronghold - The main stronghold of the realm is haunted by malevolent spirits. -1 to Income for Wonders
- Invested caves - -1 to wonders for income, plus all the monsters
- Sinking Pit - There is a large sinkhole in the realm and it continues to expand. -1 to Wonders for Income purposes.
- Unnavigable Waterway - There is a major river (or other waterway) which splits the kingdom. -1 to Trade
- Malice = starting monsters, bandit bands, criminals
- Cost = malice x 50 in gold each year
- Errant knight - Loose cannon mostly aimed at malices
- Friendly Monster - One group of monsters or a single powerful one is actually allied with the kingdom most of the time.
- Meddling Kids - A group of children/teens who sometimes out Malices or their plans.
- Rag tag band - A group of young adventures
- This old man - A retired adventurer that occasionally takes care of a problem
- Warring Tribes - Two tribes of humanoid monsters spend more time fighting with each other than terrorizing the region.
- Weak Monster - Due to inbreeding or other issues, a group of monsters is weaker than expected.
- You do not have to take any banes for a malice score at 8, 6, or 4. Instead you may choose to take a number of banes in your other scores, up to your malice score in return for a equal number of Boons that can be taken in any score, including Malice itself.
Top of page Mail Main